Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Skate Skiing to Glacier Point!

Partially inspired by Leor, the ultrarunning machine... and partially inspired by the fact that I obtained a pair of skate skis this summer at a REI garage sale.  A few weeks back,  I finally got me a pair of boots that *sorta* fit from ebay, so I've been itching to get out to Glacier Point on skate skis.

So this past weekend, I got B-ral to hop in the Schmienna with the Kuwabara's and we cruised on up to Badger Pass in Yosemite to skate ski.

There are many good reasons to skate ski... a) It hadn't snowed in a while; b) Yosemite is awesome; c) it's cheap, if not free; d) it's a great work out; e) it's pretty fun (going 10 mph on your skate skiing set up feels like going 70 mph on a DH ski set up).

B-ral with punkin at Tunnel View.
There are plenty of trails from Badger Pass to x-country ski, but the groomed trail follows the summer road out to Glacier Point.  There's even a race every year going out to Badger Pass and back... 

my outfit for the skate... decided last second to wear tights... should've gone with shorts.  We passed 30+ folks... most of whom were wearing full down clothing... 
At Washburn Pt.  We got a pretty late start, but managed to pass most of the folks heading out, and got to enjoy both Washburn Pt. and Glacier Pt by ourselves for a good 30 min.  Quite a highlight considering the view and how crowded it can get in the summer time.  
B-ral with the Glacier Pt. Hut behind him.  You can rent the hut for 120$ per person (self-guided) or 350 $ per person (guided).  The cost does include three meals a day, wine, etc. Here's the weekend sherpa link
And the labeled view...
Can you see the landmarks here?
B-ral taking another pano on his iphone... the site of the old "firefall"
Back at the parking lot.  B-ral is fast.  Skate skiing is hard.  I was pooped.  
Thanx to B-ral, who watched Kai, Kimbo and I got to go ice skating together for an hour or so.... going from ski skating to ice skating... very similar muscles... Check out the alpenglow on Half Dome in the background.  
Taking advantage of the ice skating rink that sounds like it will be shut down next year... 
Soon, we made it to the Bug where Kai made lots of friends, we had a sublime dinner, and slept... 
The next morning, Kai woke up pretty early (he never sleeps well the first night)... so Kimbo and I grabbed some coffee, got in the spa, had brekky, and B-ral and Kim jumped back in the spa.  
...soon we were back in Oakland.  A quick 2.5 hr drive (including a strawberry stop), unload the car,  hopped on the Uni and got in an hour ride in the Oakland hills on my way to Lucinda's to watch the 49ers choke in the 4th quarter...
Below is the strava track... although it says there are "no achievements on this nordic ski"... it was still quite an achievement for me.  Skiing 20+ miles on my first time skate skiing, skiing topless for three and a half hours, and I also achieved a painful blister on my right foot...

1 comment:

  1. It’s an awesome blog and I really enjoy to read it out. I’m planning a tour to the Yosemite National Park for Watching sunrise & sunset from the top of the Glacier Point as it has got the Certificate of Excellence 2014. I’ll go there as I’ll finish my niagara falls canada tours. Hope it would me a superb trip of mine.

    ReplyDelete