|Kimbo encountering the wildlife with Hidden Lake behind... off Logan Pass in Glacier National Park.|
Sunday, September 30, 2012
Saturday, September 22, 2012
|at the Grinnell Glacier after taking the last boat of the season across Swiftcurrent and Josephine Lakes and hiking 3.5 miles up to Grinnell Glacier past a rambunctious bull moose, a flock of bighorn sheep, and a tribe of mountain goats.|
Monday, September 10, 2012
|Tunnel View at night...|
While driving through Tuolumne in GoodGirl last weekend after climbing Conness I started thinking about all the adventures, shared memories, torn finger tips, cold King Cobras, and uber stoke I've enjoyed in Yosemite over the last 10 years, and I figured I'd lay out a few of my recommendations, past trips, and future trips to do in Yosemite.
Things to do in Summer/Fall (Climbing Season):
A great time to visit the high meadows and get out into the backcountry. At least stay out of the valley on the weekends... especially if there are bears... that'll be a 30 min traffic jam. Or drive in late at night, do some ninja camping and leave early or late so that you won't have to deal with the tourists...
|The Wash U crew holding up the father of the groom!|
- Past runs:
- Future run ideas:
- Fun Scrambles
- Other areas of interest
- Fern Spring
- Indian Caves
- With the kiddos - "Spider Caves"
- Chill at Swinging Bridge
- Get pizzas at Curry.
- Watch soccer/football at the mountain room in Yosemite lodge
- Watch a presentation at the Yosemite Theatre
- Go check out Yosemite Fall when it's raging (May)
- And kayak the Merced (June and July typically)...
|Hoeft, Kev, Kimbo and I on top of Cloud's Rest... maybe the best view of the Valley?|
|Khalid and Sigman after hiking 20 miles... on our way back down to our car 50 miles away in the Valley...|
|Top of Half Dome...|
|a few years earlier...|
|The typical crowds gather on the "cables" pre-permit days... ugh.|
- Go Climbing in Tuolumne (recommendations)
|Jack Chase leading the way up the N. Coulie...|
- Climbs to do in Tuolumne:
- Drug/Mariuolumne Dome day: OZ/Gram Traverse to Hobbit Book;
- Fairview Day: Great Pumpkin to Lucky Streaks on Fairview;
- Tenaya Peak to Cathedral Traverse: up to 15 summits! Unicorn Peak, Cockscomb, Matthes Crest, Echo Ridge, the 9 Echo peaks, Cathedral Peak and Eichorn pinnacle
- Daff dome day: Blown Away (do 4th pitch of Bombs over Tokyo) to Cooke Book to Crescent Arch to West Crack?
- Solo Tenaya Peak
- SW Face of Conness...
|Hanging in the abyss... me ascending Leaning Tower|
- Go Climbing in the Valley
|Funk trusts granite|
- Big Walls
- Climbs To Do:
- East Butt of Middle Cathedral (10c, 11p)
- DNB of Middle Cathedral (11a, 19p)
- My Favorite Things on Clouds Rest (10-, 15p)
- Royal Arches (10b, 16p) - Crest Jewel Direct (10d, 5p) - Crest Jewel (10a, 10p)
- Galactic Hitchhiker (11b, 39 p)
- Moratorium (11b, 4p) - East Butt of El Cap (10b, 13p)
- NW Face of Half Dome
- Steck-Salathe (10b, 16p)
- SXSW on Lower Cathedral (11a, 6p) - Reg Route on Higher Cathedral Spire (9, 5p)
- NE Butt on Higher Cathedral (9, 11p)
- Arrowhead Arete - Arrowhead Spire (9, 6p, 2 hr approach)
- Other things to do in the Climbing Season. It's also Canyoneering season!
an awesome time to visit the valley. Actually it's a great time anytime... but the traffic between Memorial day and Labor day is no fun. Spring time, the waterfalls are exploding, and you can do more water sports... like tube, kayak, etc..
|The crew at the base of Yosemite Falls in the winter|
Go Ice Skate on Ostrander Lake
|Howard showing all of us how it's done. (Courtesy of Bay Area Backroads)|
|Go ice skating!|
Play tackle football on a powdery El Cap Meadow
|Smitty throws like a girl! Also... check our Roger's face.|
- Ski the Dana plateau
- Ski Mt. Dana - Solstice and Dana Couloirs are Sirens calling me everytime I drive past on 395... I usually start blasting music and duct tape myself to the hood, while the car is on cruise control.
- SLAY (Skiing Lightly Across Yosemite) - via TM Hut and Snow Creek Hut
- Skate Ski to Glacier Point with B-ral
- Ostrander Hut - 3rd time
- Otrander Hut
- Future Winter Trips:
- Ski out to the Tuolumne Meadows Ski Hut -and Snow Creek Hut for a fun ski crossing... check out Bernard's awesome write of his trip with Kevin in 2010. (Done, see above)
- Ski some of the chutes off of Glacier Pt Rd down into the Valley. Powder Magazine had a nice write up in their Oct 2011 issue (links JT Holmes, Pow mag)
- Learn to be the honey badger of Skate Skiing and win the Nordic Holiday Race. Yeah right... these guys do the 21 miles in 1.5 hours! That's 14 mph. That's like riding my road bike on that road in the summer...
- Go check out Horsetail Falls - late February
- Evergreen Lodge - is awesome. I've had a retreat here, and been to two weddings here. A fun spot near Hetch Hetchy...
- Yosemite Bug Hostel
- Valley - Camp 4 (for climbers... a must stay... location of many bear encounters here... including one face to face), N. Pines, Upper Pines, Housekeeping (these are like mini-huts)...
- Tuolumne - Anywhere is awesome
- Saddlebag Lake - great sites just outside the park...
- Swimming holes
- Hot Springs - tons of info online... I'll let you find these on your own... all on the E. Side along 395.
|First visit to the hot springs of the E. Sierra... and far from last... oh Red... how I miss thee...|
|Travertine Hot Springs at Magic Hour...|
- Mo Mart (on the Eastern Entrance) - a place every Tuolumne and E. Side climber/skier/dirtbag has been to and dropped 20$ on their fish tacos and cowboy burgers...
- Iron Door Saloon - the oldest saloon in CA. Good for a beer...
If this isn't enough to entice ya... here are some other links that will make visiting Yosemite irresistible for you:
- Yosemite Nature Notes - These short videos are all amazing. I recommend all of them...
- Yosemite Conservancy - These guys do a lot to preserve the park... donate, become a member, and go on a trip.
- SuperTopo Forum - Good amount of climbing stoke can be found here... some from Yosemite, mostly other spots.
- And other vids
- Yosemite HD - by project Yosemite
- Yosemite Range of Light - by Sean Reeder
- Yosemite's Super Climbers - by Jimmy Chin, Camp 4 Collective, National Geographic
- Yosemite Timelapse - by Henry Jun Wah Lee - one of my favorite Timelapse Ninjas...
- Winter in Yosemite - by Henry Jun Wah Lee
- Secret Yosemite - by National Geo - 45 min documentary...
- Park Life - a 25 min short on bouldering in Yosemite