Monday, November 25, 2013

CCK: Rock Garden Class!


Keith and Tammy are not only excellent neighbors, but they also happen to own California Canoe & Kayak... an awesome place to rent, buy, or take classes for kayaking, SUP, or canoeing.  They offer a whole suite of kayaking classes to challenge you at every level.  I've previously taken the Open Coast; Tides, Currents & Rough water class as well as the Surf Zone class.  All have been great classes where I've taken away tons of lessons from experienced paddlers.   I like to dedicate at least one day a year to a challenging paddle, and this year I decided to take the Rock Garden Class.  The Thursday before, I went to the Richmond Plunge before my soccer game to practice my rolls... and met up at Horseshoe Cove for the class on Sat morning.  

Once we got on the water Bill & Greg, members of the Neptunes Rangers & BASK, led the class.  Both amazing paddlers with tons of experience.  
Double-crested Cormorants!  They have solid bones & don't oil their feathers like other birds so they can dive deeper... but they have to dry out their feathers after every dive to fly... 
A BASK trip on their way out to Rodeo Beach.  
Practicing some pour overs.
And Bill showing us some rescues...
And showing us how to land & launch from a rock garden...

The boat I got to use for the class.  The HAMMER!  This boat was designed for rock gardens.  
This looks like a fun trip... I'd like to go on in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment