Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Surfskiing!



I lightly tweaked my ankle a few weeks ago.  I think it's my posterior tibial tendonitis flaring up again... playing too much soccer, and barefoot running.  I really don't think barefoot running is good for overpronators.  At least more than a mile or two...

Anyway.... so now I've been biking and kayaking more.  I can't get out as quickly or easily, but I do enjoy those activities more anyway... so it's been working out.

So a few weeks back, when the tides were right, I doubled the number of surfski commutes to six.  And slowly and steadily, my average speed has been creeping up.  PROGRESS!!!

I've been paying attention to maintain a better paddle stroke... arms straighter, leaning forward more, and get proper rotation... requires more core.  My paddle stroke needs a bit of work... http://tcsurfski.com/surfski-technique-videos/

But the most fun part is returning from work when there is a slight breeze and there are some waves to catch.  I'm not very good at it, but I'll be working on that for sure... I wish I could do downwinders all day.  The basic concept of catching a wave (paddle hard), then easing off (to stay on the wave), and maintaining speed to catch the next wave (skill required here...) is what I try to focus on.  Right now, I'm not good at catching waves, and am not even sure if the conditions are good enough to catch a good downwinder, so I'm just trying to spend more time on the water to become more familiar with my boat....
http://tcsurfski.com/2014/07/11/downwind-surfski-paddling-elation/#comment-1375
http://tcsurfski.com/downwind-surfski-videos/

Oct 28th - portview park, tried out the chest mount (on movie mode) on the way back... good to analyze my paddling... not very good for timelapse.


Oct 30th - from portview park after dropping Kai off.... fell in 2x on the way home...




big boat...
















Nov 4th - from signal beach


sayonara Kai chan!








the wake from Hyndai

too close to the bridge?  sorry...










No comments:

Post a Comment