Sunday, June 7, 2020

Everesting?? more like K2-ing.

Everesting was another 2020 thing... something you'd never do unless you ran out of options for adventure.  Basically, the rules are... you gotta do it in one ride (no more than 2 hr break), you have to pick one hill, and you have to climb the height of Everest (8848m).  

So I did the calculations HERE, and for this segment it said I have to do 25.4 laps.  So I figured I'd start at 5 in the morning and be done by midnight or so.  Spoiler... I did 27 laps, just in case, and my Garmin stopped working around halfway through.  The elevation stopped, so on my Garmin it said I had done like 5k ft, and stopped.  By my calculation, I did 30,800 ft of vert.  Well over the 29k required.  But whatever.  I guess I'll have to do it again sometime. 

Just for next time... this segment had some flat sections.  So the total gradient was only 6.29%, it got up to 14% in sections, but most of the faster rides are done in steeper gradient sections.  I should look... Dead Indian Memorial might be a good option.  Although it's only 6%.  But it's a consistent 6%.  But there is quite a bit of traffic on it, which is a bummer.  

This one would be good for a dirt everest.  
https://www.strava.com/segments/24943067

Here's my segment, fly.  
https://everesting.cc/hall-of-fame/#/hill/3581432350

I had baked two pizzas and drove up to the start as I'd need a basecamp for this attempt.  
Here are the boys wonder WTF is daddy up to now?


Anyway... I picked a horrible day.  Well, the weather just turned out to be bad on the day that made the most sense to do this challenge.  It rained quite a bit, I got plenty of hail, and yeah, it was quite cold.  But I've learned from experiences like Orr Springs that I can ride through mostly anything.  

Kimbo got me some take out Thai food from House of Thai, which hit the spot!!!
see hail
Quite soaked
We did get a lovely sunset.  

No comments:

Post a Comment