Here's the approximate route
That doesn't give a great cue sheet FYI... based most of it from this
There's a link to the cue sheet that I used there.
Started around 4 am... ended at 9 pm... took about 2 hours in breaks. By far the longest ride I've ever done in a day.
- Most of the riding is actually pretty scenic (skyline, paradise, china camp, san pablo dam)
- Passing 1000s of cars on 37 as traffic was bad.
- Mostly flat (only 11,500 ft of elevation)
- Plenty of shops to get snacks along the way
- Never been so happy to see the Mormon temple. (could be in the latter category as well...)
- Listening to some podcasts "limits" on radiolab was particularly appropriate.
- Almost colliding into a deer then nearly running over a skunk within 30 seconds on the first 10 miles of the ride.
- Riding down Hayward to Fremont... that's a pretty boring stretch
- Getting lost numerous times (one time had to back track 5 miles... ugh), following the cue sheet from ridewithgps.com
- Riding on the freeways (101, 37, and 24) were a little tense... not too bad once you get used to it (there's a HUGE shoulder on most of them)...
- Never rode with anyone... didn't get to draft at all...
- Riding across the Golden Gate... too many tourons there all the time...
- Sucking down the 15th GU.
- The last hill
Here's my SPOT track from the day... batteries died once I got on 37.