Wednesday, May 8, 2013

BUNI (Beach Unicycling)!

A while back Stefan told me about his first BUNI mission.  He started at high tide, and after a few soft UPDs (UnPlanned Dismounts) off his coker, he finally fell into the ocean.... needless to say, we timed his second attempt a lot better and had a beautiful ride to start off our Sunday morning. 

I was already camping at New Brighton Beach for Jiselle's 5th B-day with a whole slew of folks and kiddos.  All I had to do was wake up and ride my uni 100 yards to the beach.  Stefan... who hosted his first bee extraction of the season the day before wasn't sure he'd be able to make it (which by the way sounded awesome and I was bummed to miss).  But sure enough he texted me after the event and told me he'd meet me at the parking lot at 6 am. 

taking steady pics while riding a uni on the beach is no easy task... 
After a few soft falls on the sand, Stefan looked like a seasoned BUNI-er
One the few outflow crossings we did in our route.  Surprisingly no falls.  That would have been entertaining...
Soon we were back at New Brighton State Beach, where the parents were cooking pancakes for everyone!  With the addition of some raw honey, thanx to Stefan, we had a yummy brekky.  

Here's our route.... not much elevation as you can see.  But it felt like we were riding uphill the entire time.  We started the ride at 6 am, and finished at 8:30.  I think it'd be possible to do a Capitola to Monterey beach ride in 4-5 hours (it's around 40 miles)... and as long as the tides are below 0, you should be OK.  That'd be pretty cool.

happy b-day Jelly!



No comments:

Post a Comment