Sunday, December 25, 2016

My first SUP race... Long Strange Trip.

Tim congratulating the guy he beat in the "kayak" category.  
Durbs encouraged me to sign up for a paddle race that he signed up for with his buddy Chuck. Turned out to be a beautiful morning (it had been raining quite a bit here), a really fun event, and an interesting peek into a subculture full of nice folks.

This was going to be by far the farthest I'd paddled at 13.3 miles and I was a bit nervous, but I was pretty confident that I'd finish and not die.  At the end I was tired, but I wasn't really sure where... I think mainly my lats.  I wore my stinky Aquasocks under my trailrunners which worked quite well for my foot.

The event was well catered with yummy food, great beer, and awards for everyone (I got a 101 Surf Sports beanie for coming in 2nd in my division).  The SUP-ers started 10 min ahead of everyone so it was really cool seeing some of the best surfskiers around up close and personal.  All in all, a great morning....

https://paddleguru.com/races/LongStrangeTripPaddleRace2016
https://www.visitmarin.org/event-calendar/2016/december-2016/long-strange-trip-101-surf-sports-paddle-race/

And here's the log...

this black bird loves the Dragon Wagon...
the veterans all knew each other quite well...
in SUP racing there isn't much difference between going at 70% vs 90%... I didn't pass or get passed by a SUPer after the first mile.  I was behind her for the whole race...



No comments:

Post a Comment