Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sugar Bowl!

So... I had been planning this whole winter to come up with dates & partners to re-do the SLAY trip from last year.  I had a few dates open, and shot some e-mails out... and we had finally settled on March 29-April 1st.  And I would go with Scott & Barrett... two of the strongest partners I know.  I was STOKED.  And given the fact that the trip is more of a tour through one of the most beautiful place in the world I wasn't too concerned about the weak snowpack.

Then THE storm rolled in.... honestly, I think it's the only significant storm of the season and it happens to roll in the day we were planning to fly to Mammoth.  Suffice to say, we talked quite a bit, discussed our plans and we bailed the morning of the flight.  The flight hadn't been cancelled yet, but we figured the avy conditions could be high or extreme and going up to Tioga Pass in those conditions could mean we wouldn't be coming back down again.  

So.... looks like I'm not going on a hut trip this season.  I think it's the first season (other than 2009 when we were in Australia), since I've been out in California. I'll have to make up  for that next year.  

Anyway... with the storm of the season rolling in, Scott and I decided to drive up Sunday morning to Sugar Bowl with his lady Melissa.  Really fun day.  But since my gear was at the cabin, I was on my old 4FRNTs that Funk gave me for 40$ five years ago... with G3 binders on them (which suck), no helmet, no back protector, etc.  So I took her easy.  But it was fun skiing from 9 am to 2 pm (when we decided to call it quits).  Definitely doubled the amount of resort skiing I've done this year.  Here's a quick vid.  After about 5 runs of shooting footage I decided I'd like to use my poles, so not too much action.

No comments:

Post a Comment