Sunday, March 10, 2019

Bad to the 'Bone

all in all an amazing day on my favorite mtn in the bay.  
Now that I hear this event may not be happening anymore, I want to post this so I have something to remember such an amazing event.  This is another Barkeley's type run with way points, mostly off trail, following lengthy descriptions.  Ended up being 28 miles and 10k of elevation.  We missed the cutoff at the last check in, so no one finished the whole route.  But man, those were some hard earned miles.... but soo much fun.

Part of my drawn out map that I used to navigate with... 

Sam's spam musubi hit the spot!

Eric, the mastermind behind the tempest
We got started on time, and right away we were walking through creeks, bushwhacking, and I was making friends with newts
I think this pic captures the essence of this event.  Chaos, no trails, exploring the mtn
Eric and Ginny made sure we'd get some nice views during the day
and placed caches in scenic spots
James and Loren.  We leap frogged these guys for the first part of the day, then we stuck together for a while towards the end.  
Nice trail, right?
...

another sweet spot for a cache.
bone!
barracks!
unfortunately we missed the cutoff at the last check point so we didn't get to go down to the beach... 
tragic accident occurred a few hours before arriving here... 
Sam randomly ran into a neighbor and he took a pic of the 5 of us going down to the next bone
which required some light canyoneering
pretty sweet egh?
Found her
Sam, Josh, and I decided to run back to the start after missing the checkpoint, while Loren and James went on to collect another few bones.  They made it back to the start with a few minutes to spare and took the victory from us.  Frito soup!  
My feet were quite soaked most of the day
Our narrowly missed trophy.  Crafty!

more pics here

No comments:

Post a Comment