Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Coast Camp pseudo-bikepacking







I made a last minute call to head out to Coast Camp as I saw that the weather was ok and there happened to be a cancellation.  Coast Camp is easily my favorite camp at Pt. Reyes and I figured I'd make another attempt at reaching Secret Beach.... Pt. Reyes is pretty cool as every campground is bike accessible.  There is a fire road that the maintenance trucks drive on, so there's always a way to a campground via bike.  It's just in such high demand... that'd the downside.

As this was a last second decision, I hastily packed everything and figured if I'd left something, oh well, we'd be gone for a day.  
The boys bikes were already in Oregon so I borrowed bikes from the Smiths.
after the bike ride I figured the boys deserved some bacon
We quickly headed to the beach to do some tidepooling...
and went exploring.
This is the Sculptured Beach section.  Lots of fun tunnels, and great tide pooling.
we found a swallow's nest
complete with eggs!
There are many beaches here that only exist at low tide
Fun sections of the trail... 
Keeping up with the summer reading... 
lots of fun things to find.
this was the boys favorite spot... I dozed off and took a nap.
When I woke up, I followed these tracks back to camp... who leaves their shoes behind?
There was a boyscout troop next to us.  
About this time I realized I forgot a stove... 
And opened up our bear bin to find all this stuff... 
So after borrowing a lighter from the boy scouts, I cooked up some ramen using the propane grill

Next morning... note I forgot utensils too... so I made some chopsticks (or just found sticks)... ramen was fine.  Grits was tougher... 













after some ninja kicks, we decided it was time to head back... 


a truck would've been nice.
a stop at Pt. Reyes Station was mandatory for some ice cream.  Trace 8 is the best in the world!
We stopped back by the visitor center so the boys could get their Jr. Ranger badges.  
Soon we were home to take Moshi on a walk.  




No comments:

Post a Comment